How do I care for my Corian worktops?
Corian worktops are highly resistant to scratches, stains, knocks and heat, and do not delaminate, but it is necessary to remember that no worktop is indestructible and hard knocks, cuts, spillages, etc can leave marks. Corian worktops do not require specialised care and cleaning and maintaining them is quite a simple process. However, it is important to protect your investment and by keeping them in pristine condition, you may enjoy that luxurious look for generations.
Just as with any high-quality product, proper care must be taken to clean and maintain them properly by following the easy steps required and avoiding excessive exposure to stains, physical damage or scratches.
Simple preventive measures will include:
- Using hot pads or trivets to protect them from high heat
- Using chopping blocks or cutting boards to prevent scratches and knocks
- Do not use paint removers, oven cleaners or strong chemicals to clean the worktops
For daily care, clean your Corian worktops with a soft, or microfibre cloth, using clean water and mild soap and wipe dry. For difficult areas, a mildly abrasive liquid cleaner can be used. For matte (non-shiny) finishes, a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water can be used. Commercial cleaners, specially formulated for solid surface worktops, are also available at most home supply centres or directly from Worktops.net.
Can I repair scratches to my Corian Worktops?
In time, scratches will appear, even though Corian solid surface worktops are more resistant to scratches than most. The good news is that Corian worktops can be repaired!
Simple steps can be followed to remove scratches, although patience is required to do it properly and care should be taken not to dull shiny surfaces, particularly on darker colours.
As a first step, use a mildly abrasive liquid cleaner on a soft damp sponge or cotton cloth and rub with circular motions, using mild pressure. Wash off the cleaner and thoroughly dry the surface. Repeat the process until the scratches disappear.
For slightly deeper scratches, Worktops.net offers a Corian Worktop Care and Maintenance Kit that enables you to keep your worktops looking brand new for many years.
On matte (non-shiny) surfaces ultra-fine and super-fine scouring pads (such as 3M Scotch Brite #7448 and #7445) can be used with a mildly abrasive liquid cleaner.
In cases of more serious damage, Worktops.net has a team of experts to do repairs onsite by sanding and polishing out scratches, or filling in deeper scratches with a special acrylic polymer resin.
Worktops.net will also be more than happy to provide advice to the serious DIY expert who wants to attempt repairing more serious scratches, damage or stains to Corian worktops.
Heavy stains and scratches can be erased without a trace simply by rubbing with household cleaner
Proven to be remarkably durable, a versatile material that is easy to live with in both domestic and commercial environments
Bacteria and mould have nowhere to take root. When it looks clean, it really is clean
Inconspicuous seams result in a smooth surface that enables you to create large designs fashioned from a single element
Easy to Clean
With a non-porous surface that prevents dirt and stains from penetrating the material.
How do I remove stains from my Corian Worktops?
Because of the impermeable quality of reconstituted stone, Corian worktops are highly resistant to stains, but sooner or later one will spill wine or some other substance that leaves a stain if not cleaned immediately. Again, good news! Most stains can easily be removed and even the more stubborn stains can be removed with little effort.
Some ideas for removing stains from your Corian worktops:
- Spray lemon juice or vinegar on the stain and leave for a few minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with clean water and dry properly.
- A solution of spirit vinegar and bicarbonate of soda can be rubbed on in small circular motions and rinsed off with clean water.
- Rub with a soft wet cloth and mild scrub powder in circular motions.
- Dilute bleach in water (no stronger than 50:50) and rub in circular motions. Severe stains can be sprayed with this solution and left for no more than 16 hours, after which they stain can be cleaned with water and dried.
- Hard water stains can be removed with a spirit vinegar solution or descaler.
- net offers a Corian worktops maintenance and cleaning kit to remove stains.
- In very severe cases, the specialist team from Worktops.net will polish out the stains and scratches on site.
Avoid window cleaners or any other cleaner that leaves a waxy residue, or strong cleaners which will ultimately dull the surface.