Corian FAQ’s – What is Corian?
Corian is the registered brand name for a range of sophisticated solid surface worktops emulating the qualities and appearance of solid marble and granite.
What is Corian made of?
Corian is manufactured from the highest quality natural minerals (Gibbsite, Bayerite, Doyleite and Nordstrandite) strengthened by acrylic polymer resin, giving it greater flexibility, elasticity and resilience than natural marble or granite. Corian consists of about 66% natural minerals and 34% acrylic polymer resin.
Do Corian worktops look and feel natural?
Corian worktops emulate the natural beauty and atmosphere of marble, granite or polished stone in a huge variety of colours. It is a solid, non-porous surface with all the benefits of solid, natural materials.
Where can Corian worktops be used?
Corian worktops are eminently suitable for kitchens and bathrooms as worktops, wall cladding and even flooring, but because of its solid, non-porous quality, it has been approved by health authorities for use in highly sterile areas such as hospitals, surgeries and laboratories. It is also frequently used in sensitive areas such as airport and hotel check-in counters because it is so easy to clean and to maintain high levels of hygiene.
Can Corian worktops be formed into different shapes and designs?
Due to its unique composition, Corian® is incredibly versatile and has endless design possibilities. By a special heating process, it can be shaped, joined and formed into a wide variety of two and three dimensional shapes and products. Corian worktops can be combined with countless combinations of upstands, splashbacks, downturns, wall cladding, overhangs, edgings, return ends and cutouts for integrated sinks, bowls and cooking tops for a one-of-a-kind design. Add to this the extensive range of colours, patterns and textures, topped by the fact that Corian can also be engraved, and you have the ability to create unique designs and to personalise your kitchen or bathroom.
Are Corian Worktops easy to clean?
Because Corian is a solid, non-porous worktop, it does not absorb liquids. Different parts are joined almost seamlessly with a special process, leaving no crevices for dirt and old food to accumulate to breed germs. It can simply be wiped, or cleaned with a normal detergent. Due to its exceptionally high hygiene qualities, it has been approved for use in hospitals, surgeries and laboratories.
Can Corian worktops be repaired if damaged?
Worktops.net offers a Corian Worktop Care and Maintenance Kit that enables you to keep your worktops looking brand new for many years. In cases of more serious damage, Worktops.net has a team of experts to do repairs onsite by sanding and polishing out scratches, or filling in deeper scratches with a special acrylic polymer resin.
Are Corian Worktops resistant to damage?
Corian worktops are highly resistant to scratches, stains, knocks and heat, and do not delaminate. As with any high quality product of value, proper care must still be taken by using chopping blocks, cleaning them properly and avoiding excessive exposure to scratches, hard knocks or heat.
Do Corian worktops require special care or maintenance?
Corian worktops do not require out of the ordinary care. They are highly resistant to damage and by regularly cleaning them properly and by taking reasonable precautions to prevent damage from heat sources, scratches and knocks, they will last a very long time.
How are Corian worktops joined?
In the manufacturing process, different parts of a Corian design are joined by a special heat process and with colour-matched acrylic polymer resins. They are then polished with machines to create an almost imperceptible joint. Onsite joints are blended and polished by hand to provide a seamless and inconspicuous finish, without any crevices or gaps.
How many colours are available in Corian® worktops?
Corian Worktops are available in more than 100 different colours and patterns, ranging from white Arctic Ice to Black Nocturne, with all the hues and shades in between. You have the choice of natural marble and granite colours, natural sand or clay colours, bright pigmented colours, graduated colours, and even raffia. These colours are complemented by a wide variety of textures and finishes. (See our products page for full details.)
Can Corian Worktops be personalised?
Corian worktops can be engraved, shaped, formed and joined to form a unique design in your kitchen, bathroom, or anywhere else where you should choose to use it. Combined with the range of colours, patterns, textures and finishes, you have the opportunity to create your own unique, personalised kitchen or bathroom, not replicated anywhere else.
Can Corian worktops be engraved?
Corian worktops can be engraved to your own specifications to create your own unique designs.
Can you create different effects with Corian worktops?
Corian allows you to create anything from a traditional, rustic, elegantly sleek, modern, or high tech kitchen, because it offers an almost infinite combination of shapes, colours, patterns and textures. It can be used for wall cladding to create the effect of marble or granite, or in a range of scores of different bright pigmented colours to emulate polished stone. You can create special effects in your bar area, lounge, dining room, office, boardroom, bathroom, change room, reception room – in fact anywhere where people congregate! The wide array of colours, textures, patterns, shapes and designs are limited only by your own creativity and imagination.
Can Corian worktops only be used in the kitchen?
Corian worktops can be used anywhere that you require worktops, countertops, wall cladding, or even flooring.
- Because of its versatility it can be formed into almost any shape or design.
- Because of its high hygiene rating, it can be used in homes, hospitals, surgeries and laboratories.
- Because it is so easy to clean and maintain, Corian® worktops are used in sensitive areas such as hotels, airports and sports stadiums, for check-in counters and in cloakrooms, changing rooms and bathrooms.
- Because of the wide range of textures and colours, you can use Corian® worktops in any other room in your house, office or boardroom where a countertop or worktop is required.
- Because of its natural beauty, you can use it for wall cladding in your home, office, boardroom, laboratory, surgery, reception hall, or anywhere else.
- Because of its density, it can be used in bathrooms, showers and wetrooms. You can use Corian® to create a seamless, waterproof floor or shower basin.
Do Corian worktops expand and contract?
Due to temperature differences, Corian worktops can expand and contract by 1 mm per metre of worktop.
Is Corian safe for my children?
Corian is completely non-toxic. Both the materials used to manufacture Corian worktops and the sealants and adhesives used to install it are GREEN GUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®. In case of fire or burning, it releases mainly Carbon Oxides, without any toxic halogenated gases. Because it does not absorb moisture and there are no crevices in the joints or surface for bacterial buildup, your child is protected from germs.
Is Corian environmentally friendly?
Corian is manufactured in terms of strict standards of safety, limiting waste and energy consumption. All the materials used are completely non-toxic and recyclable. When burned (an accident in the kitchen, or fire) Corian does not emit toxic halogenated gases. (Naturally in any fire care should be taken against inhaling carbon monoxide!)
What are the benefits of Corian worktops?
- It is cost-effective. Corian gives you the natural beauty, benefits and atmosphere of high end solid marble, granite or stone, without the hefty price tag.
- It is durable. Because of Corian’s natural strength, elasticity, thickness and resistance to damage, it will outlast almost any other type of worktops.
- Exceptional hygiene and ease of cleaning. Corian is a solid, non-porous surface therefore it does not absorb moisture or fluids, making it suitable even for laboratories and hospitals. Because it is joined seamlessly, there is nowhere for germs to breed and is easy to clean.
- It is beautiful and sophisticated. Because it is made from the highest quality natural minerals, blended with the highest quality acrylic polymer resins, Corian worktops have a rich and sophisticated feel and look.
- It is versatile. You can personalise your kitchen with infinite combinations of designs, colours, patterns, textures and forms it can be shaped to your unique circumstances and to top it all, you can have them engraved to your own specifications.
- Corian’s solid surface, without any perceptible joints, is exceptionally easy to clean and maintain.
- Corian worktops can be repaired if damaged. Worktops.net provides you with a Care and Maintenance Kit to repair minor damage yourself, while more serious damage can be repaired onsite by our expert technicians.
- Corian worktops are in a league of their own. It is the highest quality, with unmatched beauty, with endless design possibilities, and yet available to you at a highly affordable price.